MPA PROGRAM MISSION STATEMENT
The UIC MPA program promotes excellence through professional education in a diversity of public service careers in public, nonprofit, and private sectors, informed by scholarly research, engaged with administrative and policy communities, and dedicated to ethical and equitable practice.
Minimum Semester Hours Required: 54 credit hours.
Required Core Courses
- PA 401 Public Administration Theory
- PA 402 Principles of Data Analysis
- PA 403 Economics for Management and Policy
- PA 504 Principles of Financial Management and Budgeting
- PA 505 Public Management Practices
- PA 506 Public Policy Development and Process
- PA 590 Public Administration Capstone
- PA 591 Managing Your Career
- PA 592 Public Administration Portfolio
Full time students are required to take PA 401, 402, and 591 in their first semester and the first six courses over their first three semesters. PA 590 will be required in one of the last two semesters and PA 592 in the last semester.
In addition to the core courses, students must select one of five areas of concentration:
- Public Management
- Nonprofit Management
- Financial Management
- Urban Governance and Management
- Public Policy
Each concentration requires four courses (16 hours). Students have the option to create their own specialized (Self-Directed) concentration with faculty approval. Click here to download a curriculum guide with each concentrations course requirements.
Students must take two elective courses (or equivalent), that should be selected by the student with approval of their advisor which support their educational, career and professional objectives.
Practical, versatile, foundational, relevant, transformational.