Book Release: Nonprofit Organizations and Civil Society in the United States

March 24, 2014

Nonprofit Organizations and Civil Society in the United States

By Kelly LeRouxMary K. Feeney

Nonprofit Organizations and Civil Society in the United States provides a general introduction to the U.S. nonprofit and civil society sector, examining the social, political, and economic impact of these organizations. The book begins by examining the legal foundations, history, and evolution of the U.S. nonprofit sector, along with theories that explain the existence of a nonprofit sector. It explores the impact that nonprofits have on American social life through the creation of social capital, providing opportunities for citizens to create associations, volunteer, and give to charity. The text describes the role that nonprofits play in the American political landscape through their lobbying, advocacy, and mobilization activities. It then dissects the role of the nonprofit sector in American economy. Finally, the authors outline future challenges facing nonprofits in the US. This book fills an important niche, providing a theoretically oriented, interdisciplinary undergraduate introduction to the nonprofit field.

More information is available on the website below
http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415661454/

Alumni Testimonials

Jeanne Chiu

MPA 2010

"Because of my interest in improving the human condition through public service, I chose to enter the MPA program at UIC. Chicago, rich in history, diversity, and politics, is the perfect place to learn about all aspects of public administration. For my Capstone team project, I was provided the opportunity to collaborate with a nonprofit organization on the West Side of Chicago to develop a training and professional development curriculum. As Public Service Chair of PASA, I have volunteered alongside many of my colleagues in different service projects in the Chicagoland area. I like how this MPA program provides opportunities for students to interact with each other in the classroom and outside the classroom environment. It is a flexible program that enables students working full-time the ability to take classes at night. I would highly recommend the MPA program at UIC to prospective students."

Support for Student Success